Pratik Roychoudhury is the President and CEO of Captain’s Chair IT. The main focus of the firm is to develop and support a revolutionary MSP software that delivers a single-pane-of-glass view of the MSP clients’ entire IT environment (both on-prem and cloud) in the hopes of demystifying the ‘black box’ of IT services people deliver. Roychoudhury talks trends and solving issues.
What are the biggest problems that occur when companies outsource IT services?
Some of the biggest problems faced by companies that outsource their IT services are:
- Lack of Visibility: When companies outsource their IT services – they lack visibility into their IT tickets, IT assets and infrastructure performance levels.
- Lack of Transparency: When services are outsourced, there is a lack of transparency in the issues and resource allocations from both a systems and manpower perspective.
- Lack of Accountability: The accountability parameters for an outsourced provider are not clearly defined, and so it makes it very difficult for the company to hold the service provider to any defined service levels.
- The IT Black Box Syndrome: This lack of Visibility, Transparency, and Accountability gives rise to a sense of “IT Black Box syndrome” that causes frustration and lack of trust. The lack of trust hinders any meaningful technological progress in a company and also hinders the proliferation of digital transformation.
Why do you think it’s essential to partner with an MSP? How does this help achieve business goals?
The key to successful outsourcing is to partner with the right MSP provider that can provide visibility, transparency, and accountability to deliver upon stated service level agreements. The right MSP partner must be able to demonstrate well-established back-office processes and MSP tool automation capability to proactively manage & maintain the IT infrastructure. Outsourcing the day-to-day IT management function to the right MSP partner allows the company to focus on more strategic initiatives that drive revenues, improve the bottom line and drive customer engagement and customer retention.
With so much competition, what can firms be doing to ensure they pick the right MSP?
Companies outsourcing their IT needs must look for ways to achieve visibility, transparency, and accountability in the service levels and establish clear expectations and goals. Companies should also establish account review frequencies and demand a data-driven review session based on historical ticket performance, system performance, and system health.
Alternatively, what can MSPs do to ensure they stand out from the competition?
MSPs should engage in Data Dashboards to provide clients with real time visibility and transparency to build trust with clients leveraging data. Such a data-driven, always-on and transparent dashboard tool will position discerning MSPs to stand out from the crowd as a Next Gen MSP company.
How should the two work together to deliver success?
The two should work together on a data-driven strategy and establish service level agreements (SLAs) and measures/KPIs to measure if those SLAs are being adhered to or not. The two should also work together to create IT roadmaps that move the company toward the path of digital transformation and improve cybersecurity.
What are the top IT trends to look out for in 2020?
- MSPs will be expected to provide some level of cybersecurity services to protect end clients against threats. These may range from simple Advanced Endpoint Protection to full SOC services.
- The proliferation of Cloud services and Automation Tools
- Emerging technologies, such as IoT and blockchain, can bring interesting growth and customer engagement opportunities in unprecedented ways.
- More bundling of services by MSPs and the growth of IaaS and PaaS.
What should CIOs be doing to stay ahead of the game in IT?
- Staying abreast of new technologies such as cloud, PaaS, etc. by attending conferences and attending vendor presentations and webinars.
- Joining a CIO peer group to learn and share knowledge with fellow CIOs.
- Laying out a digital transformation roadmap for the company and making meaningful progress on that map.
- Setting up key technology KPIs that span from service desk to cloud performance to project management and reporting on those metrics on a monthly basis.
What are the three primary pain points for MSPs that keep their Owners up at night and how to solve those?
Retaining existing clients to secure the MRR base and also increase attachment rates within existing accounts.
- Delivering on IT Roadmaps and IT Projects on budget and on time.
- Continuing to differentiate the MSP services to add more profitable MSP accounts.